Kybella Pre and Post Care Instructions
Kybella is a prescription cytolytic medication used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called “double chin.” You should not receive Kybella if you have infection in the treatment area.
1. Before receiving Kybella, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
a. Have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin.
b. Have had cosmetic treatments on your face neck, or chin.
c. Have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area.
d. Have had or have trouble swallowing.
e. Have bleeding problems.
f. Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
h. Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
2. You may not be pregnant or nursing and have Kybella. It is not known if Kybella will harm your unborn baby or will pass into your breast milk.
3. For optimal results and to decrease the chance of bruising at the injection site, please:
a. Avoid all blood thinning medications and supplements for 1 week prior to your Kybella® appointment. Avoid taking Aspirin. In addition, very high doses of some Vitamins and supplements can thin your blood and increase the chance of bruising.
b. You may take Arnica up to 1 week prior to treatment for bruising. For comfort, you may take Ibuprofen 30 mins prior to your appointment time.
c. Please notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners for a medical condition.
4. During the course of your treatments, notify our staff of any changes to your medical history, health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
1. During the course of your treatment your feedback is crucial in order for us to determine the proper and most effective treatment protocols for you. Our staff is always available to respond to any questions, concerns, or comments you may have.
2. We will use ice to numb the skin and possibly numbing medication to ensure your comfort while undergoing treatments. Most patients will feel pain, studies have shown the pain levels to range for most patients from a 6 – 8 on a scale 0f 10. The pain will begin during treatment and last for 2 – 3 hours after treatment.
1. Important Safety Information: Kybella can cause serious side effects, including but not limited to nerve injury in the jaw than can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness, and trouble swallowing. The most common anticipated reactions can include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness, in the treatment area. Additional side effects may include infection at injection site, and ulceration and or scarring to the injection site. Alopecia (hair loss treated area) have been reported as well.
2. To avoid severe bruising: Avoid alcohol consumption for a minimum of 6 hours and refrain from taking blood thinners such as Aspirin for several days. Over the counter oral pain medication or anti-inflammatory can be taken, and applying ice (or ice cold towels) to the treatment area, to manage discomfort.
3. To maximize your results and prevent adverse effects:
a. Avoid exercise for at least 24 hours.
b. Avoid rubbing, massaging, or scrubbing injection sites for 24 hours after treatment.
4. No facials, chemical peels, or laser treatments for 14 days after the Kybella® treatment. Facials, chemical peels, laser, and light treatments may be done immediately prior to Kybella® treatment. HA fillers such as JUVÉDERM® XC and / or Botox may be injected before Kybella®; if you have any questions regarding this, please ask your provider.
5. Follow up Appointment:
We anticipate up to 6 treatments may be required for optimal results. The second treatment and future subsequent treatments are recommended to be done every 30 days for optimal results.
Any pain or problems call our office at 805-497-8080.